LIHEAP - Subsidy
With our LIHEAP Subsidy program, we strive to assist all eligible households with their home heating costs by providing a one-time benefit, payable to your heating vendor.
Eligibility Requirements for LIHEAP Subsidy
To qualify for assistance with our LIHEAP Subsidy program...
- Your household income must be at or below the following, relative to household size:
Household Size Gross Monthly Income Household Size Gross Monthly Income 1 $1,287 5 $3,081 2 $1,736 6 $3,530 3 $2,184 7 $3,980 4 $2,633 8 $4,430
- You must be responsible for home heating costs or pay heating costs as an undesignated portion of rent.
- And you must not have liquid resources in excess of $2,000 or $3,000 if at least one person in the household is 60 years old or older or disabled. (However, in households where a member has a catastrophic illness, the liquid resources can be as much as $4,000, when the resources are being used on a regular basis for medical and living expenses).
Applications for LIHEAP Subsidy will be taken at your local Community Services office or designated sites in each county.
Applicants must bring the following:
- Most recent heating bill or verification that heating expenses are included in the rent
- Social Security Numbers or Permanent Residence Card Number for each member of the household
- Proof of all household income from the preceding month
Applicants who are unable to apply for themselves must contact the local community action to make other arrangements. If the designated representative is not the head of household or spouse, the representative must have a signed statement giving authorization to apply for the household. Individuals without a designated representative should contact the local community action agency which may be able to assist them in finding one. Only one person from each household should apply.
Application Period for LIHEAP Subsidy
Applications for our LIHEAP Subsidy program will be taken during the period November 1, 2016 through December 9, 2016. Applications will be taken in alphabetical order based on the first letter of the head of household's last name using the following schedule:
|Date||Last Name||Date||Last Name||Date||Last Name|
|Nov 1||A||Nov 15
|Nov 2||B||Nov 16
|Nov 3||B||Nov 17||I,J||Dec 1
||C||Nov 18||K||Dec 2||S
|Nov 7||C||Nov 21||L||Dec 5
|Nov 8||Election Day||Nov 22||M||Dec 6
||D,E||Nov 23||Staff Day||Dec 7
||F||Nov 24||CLOSED||Dec 8
The benefit amount that a household receives will be based on its level of poverty and the type of fuel used for heating. Those households with the lowest incomes that use the fuel with the highest heating season costs will receive the highest benefit. All eligible households will receive a benefit. Benefits will be in the form of vouchers made payable to the household's primary or secondary heating fuel vendor.
Each applicant will be informed of their rights should they be denied assistance. Any applicant who wishes to appeal the case should be informed by local community action agency staff of the procedures for filing a complaint. Should the applicant not be satisfied with the local decision, they may further appeal to the Cabinet for Health and Family Services.
For more information, contact your local Community Services office.